Dr. Dianne Saxe is one of the world’s top 25 environmental lawyers, according to Best of the Best, 2008 (the latest edition re environmental lawyers). Certified Specialist in Environmental Law, Ph.D. in Law. Heads an experienced, effective and practical environmental law firm boutique. Widely published and respected:
Thank you, Dianne, for speaking to the OBA. You were, as always, compelling, thorough and succint. You deserve the very high regard in which you’re held and we appreciate your generosity.
A lawyers’ lawyer. 38 years practical experience. Highly recommended on LinkedIn. Awards include:
- Osgoode Hall Gold Key award for lifetime achievement in law
- Best Lawyers in Canada 2011-2013 for Environmental Law
- Chambers Global 2012-2013 for Environment
- The International Who’s Who of Environmental Lawyers 2013
- The 2012 Guide to the 500 Leading Lawyers in Canada
- Certified by the Law Society of Upper Canada as a Specialist in Environmental Law
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2012-2013 as an environmental practitioner
- Who’s Who Legal for Environment Law
- Appointed to the Ontario Government Expert Advisory Panel on Brownfields
Click DianneSaxe business card to download my business card.
Civil, criminal and administrative environmental litigation, opinions and advice (including claims against lawyers and engineers for professional negligence). Core practice areas: brownfields, due diligence, compliance, enforcement, renewable energy approvals, source protection, environmental assessment, ISO 14000, approvals and climate change. Regularly consulted by governments, business, individuals and environmental groups, relied upon by corporate counsel and general practitioners.
Honoured member of City of Toronto External Panel on Climate Change Risk Management.
Certified as a Specialist in Environmental Law by the Law Society of Upper Canada. Ph.D. in Law, Osgoode Hall Law School, 1991. Ontario Bar, 1976. LL.B., Osgoode Hall Law School, 1974. A certified, experienced mediator. Former senior legal counsel, Ontario Ministry of the Environment. Head of her own law firm since 1991.
Author of Ontario’s standard environmental law reference, Ontario Environmental Protection Act Annotated, plus award-winning columns in Hazardous Materials Management and Municipal World and numerous articles, chapters, and texts, including:
- Contaminated Land, a study for the Law Reform Commission of Canada
- Buyer’s Guide to Contaminated Land
- Environmental Offences: Corporate Responsibility and Executive Liability
- Environmental Protection Legislation – Guidance & Recommendations for Boardroom Practice
Substantial pro bono commitments, including Director, Evergreen. President of Windshare. Long time volunteer for Algonquin Ecowatch. Public Affairs liaison: Ontario Bar Association, Environmental Law Section Executive. Member: Investment Committee for the $3M OBA portfolio; Strategic Steering Committee on the Environment, multi-stakeholder advisory committees for ISO 14000 and Canadian voluntary environmental standards. Founding member: Environmental Specialist Certification Committee, Law Society of Upper Canada. Life Member: Bruce Trail Conservancy.
When she’s lucky, Dianne gets a little time away from work. She’s the proud wife of Stewart Saxe and mother of Rebecca Saxe, David Saxe, and Shoshanna Saxe. And she loves to go to the wild and beautiful places of the world, preferably by paddle or pedal: